Let me preface this post by saying I'm new to Python and the only languages I've worked with in the past are C++ and Java from classes I took in school. I've never done any programming except for the classes that I attended 13 years ago. I've studied a few languages since then but for very brief periods of time.
I googled for about 15 minutes or so (that's about my limit on searching for a resolution to a problem I think should be somewhat easy to fix) on why I couldn't get Stani's Python Editor to launch after installing it on my Windows 7 laptop.
The only website I could find that talked about installing SPE stated that if it didn't launch after installing Python and wxPython, they weren't sure what to suggest.
I installed Python 2.7 and 3.2 (32 bit edition) along with installing the latest version of wxPython (as of today 3-17-2012). I installed 3.2 just to have access to the latest version. After unzipping SPE, I double clicked on SPE.py and nothing happened except a cmd window that opened and closed really quick. I opened up a command prompt, navigated to the SPE folder and typed in SPE.py. I got the message....
.
.
File "C:\_spe\SPE.py", line 22
print 'You need to upgrade wxPython to v%s (or higher) to run SPE.'%MIN_WX_VERSION
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
.
.
I added C:\Python27\ to my environment variables PATH within Windows but I still got the message.
I created a shortcut with the path "C:\Python27\pythonw.exe C:\_SPE\SPE.py" and that opens up SPE just fine. To me, that's a work around. I should be able to call SPE.py from a command prompt or double clicking on it and SPE should open.
Any suggestions on making it work they way it should? Aren't all .py files just source text files anyway? I thought maybe Python 2.7 was too new of a version for SPE until my manual short cut worked. The SPE file I downloaded was SPE-0.8.4.c-wx2.6.1.0-no_setup.zip.
No comments:
Post a Comment