Monday, November 24, 2014

Drag and Drop quits working in Windows 7

I don't use applications that require drag and drop functionality too much. I would say that most of my drag and drop activities occur when I'm working with SSIS and I'm creating packages to move data around.

From time to time I lose the ability to drag and drop...anything.  I can't copy files from one place to another. I can't even move messages from my Outlook Inbox to another folder.  My solution up until about 5 minutes ago was to reboot and I would get my drag and drop capability back.  I found a forum post from someone named Prophet Zarquon. I'm going to slightly modify his posted suggestion.

1)  Find any icon/file (create a blank file if you want to on your desktop).
2)  Because I'm no expert on keystroke combinations I wasn't sure what clicking while holding escape did, I created a blank text file on my desktop. Click and HOLD the icon with the Left mouse button.
3)  Press Esc while holding down the Left mouse button.

Here's the link to the forum post (as of 11-24-2014) I found if you care to see backup on this information.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/suddenly-cant-drag-or-drop-files-anymore-in/10278f8c-08bb-4630-8a79-15e4a1ac0701

I decided this was post worthy in case the above link ever disappears and in case I forget the keystroke sequence again I can refer back to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment